RE: [K12OSN] K12LTSP and Citrix?

THANK YOU ALL for the really great help I've gotten on this!

I built a test server on a Pentium III/450 box last night using a custom
install of K12LTSP v.3.1.0 (RH 9.0) and I found that it had a "Find
Networks" icon that acted just like Network Neighborhood in Windows.  It
found my Windows 2000 box and Samba let me log right in and access the
files in the share folders I had previously set up!  So setting this up
to save user files to a Windows file server should be a snap.  Tonight's
task is to install the ICA client and create a dummy session so I can
play with the default icon placement.

Paul, I would be grateful if you could send some of your PAM
documentation.  I'm a first-timer doing this and would appreciate any
guidance I get!  I'm very excited about the possibilities of combining
Linux TS with Citrix. I think it's a unique way of solving a growing
networking problem in education (hardware not being able to keep up with
Microsoft), but it also enables a way to get OSS on the radar screens of
the technology decision-makers where I work as a viable alternative to
proprietary systems.

Looking further down the road (boy, am I getting ahead of myself!)  I
don't see why we couldn't replace the dozen file servers we use for user
files (4, and growing) and print services (8, 1 per building).  I also
noticed that there is an LDAP solution provided on the K12LTSP "Extras"
disk.  But I have a fair amount of RTFM before I get to those goodies!

- Jim

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 19:54, Paul Davison wrote:
> Jim,
>
> If you grab the latest Citrix ICA client, and do the default installation,
> it will allow you to automatically set the client up to work under both
> Gnome and KDE.  The installer places the client on the 'internet' menu under
> Gnome.
>
> I have also used PAM to allow email users to authenticate against an NT
> domain controller, so if you have any issues with that, I may have some
> material that can help.  It was about 2 years ago that I set that up, but
> the process should be relatively similar today.
>
> Let us know how it works out.
>
> Paul Davison
> IT Manager
> PS Production Services

Jim Anderson

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to
you."
	-Gandalf the Grey