[K12OSN] NFS /home but not apps?

Dear All,

We have two needs: to make use of relatively new machines (128 RAM, 40 Gig hard
disks, 1+ Gig CPU's) and to bring down the price of new machines by using thin
clients.

Our question is how to maximize use of existing hard disks and optimize use of a
Cat 5 100 MB network for 50 machines.

On the relatively new machines, we would like to mount just the /home dirs but
save network bandwidth by using local apps rather than bringing them over the
network.

Is this possible? We have not been able to get it to work.

We were hoping to use NIS, too. People are telling us that it's unreliable, but
I see it as the best answer.

Suggestions based on experience/ideas would be gratefully received.

Best wishes,

David Bucknell
Rose Marie Academy, Thailand

--