Re: [K12OSN] NFS /home but not apps?

David Bucknell wrote:

Dear All,

We have two needs: to make use of relatively new machines (128 RAM, 40 Gig hard
disks, 1+ Gig CPU's) and to bring down the price of new machines by using thin
clients.

I'm facing the same situation.

Our question is how to maximize use of existing hard disks and optimize use of a Cat 5 100 MB network for 50 machines.

On the relatively new machines, we would like to mount just the /home dirs but
save network bandwidth by using local apps rather than bringing them over the
network.

This is what I'm considering doing also.

Is this possible? We have not been able to get it to work.

Of course it's possible! (smirk) But, I've not made it work yet for me (not attempted). What have you attempted to do? What were the errors / problems you encountered. If you will tell us this, the wonderful, highly intelligent & friendly people on this list may be able to assist you (and in the process, assist me to do the same thing).

We were hoping to use NIS, too. People are telling us that it's unreliable, but I see it as the best answer.

Suggestions based on experience/ideas would be gratefully received.

Best wishes,

David Bucknell
Rose Marie Academy, Thailand

Richard K. Ingalls
Technology Coordinator
Glenwood R-8 School
awm002 mail connect more net
(417) 256-4849

"According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist."