RE: [K12OSN] NFS /home but not apps?

I've been thinking about this same concept.

A "Thick Client"?

>From what I can tell, a 2.1 gig HD should be able to hold the OS and
basic productivity apps. I haven't set it up yet but I'm hoping some
form of LDAP/Samba will allow for cross platform user auth and NFS
mapping.

Chris Bacigalupo,
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Technical Coordinator
Harbor City International School
332 W. Mich. St. Ste. 300
Duluth, MN 55802
http://www.harborcityschool.org
tel. (218) 722.7574
cel. (218) 390.7582
+++++++++++++++++++++++

-----Original Message-----
From: k12osn-admin redhat com [mailto:k12osn-admin redhat com] On Behalf
Of Richard K. Ingalls
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 08:13
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] NFS /home but not apps?

David Bucknell wrote:

>Dear All,
>
>We have two needs: to make use of relatively new machines (128 RAM, 40
>Gig hard disks, 1+ Gig CPU's) and to bring down the price of new
>machines by using thin clients.

I'm facing the same situation.

>Our question is how to maximize use of existing hard disks and optimize

>use of a Cat 5 100 MB network for 50 machines.
>
>On the relatively new machines, we would like to mount just the /home
>dirs but save network bandwidth by using local apps rather than
>bringing them over the network.

This is what I'm considering doing also.

>Is this possible? We have not been able to get it to work.

Of course it's possible! (smirk)  But, I've not made it work yet for me
(not attempted).  What have you attempted to do?  What were the errors /

problems you encountered.  If you will tell us this, the wonderful,
highly intelligent & friendly people on this list may be able to assist
you (and in the process, assist me to do the same thing).

>We were hoping to use NIS, too. People are telling us that it's
>unreliable, but I see it as the best answer.
>
>Suggestions based on experience/ideas would be gratefully received.
>
>Best wishes,
>
>David Bucknell
>Rose Marie Academy, Thailand

Richard K. Ingalls
Technology Coordinator
Glenwood R-8 School
awm002 mail connect more net
(417) 256-4849

"According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist."