Re: [K12OSN] Gigabit on cat5 and even cat3!

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Petre Scheie wrote:
> Hmm.  "Roger Billings".  That rings a bell.  He didn't work for Novell,
> he sued them in the early '90s, saying that Novell's Netware stole his
> networking idea, for which he had some sort of patent.  Novell said his
> patent was invalid because it wasn't original, that networking had been
> around for years.  Bob Metcalf, who invented Ethernet, concurred with
> Novell.  Not sure how it ever turned out, but googling did find one
> article about the Patent office re-considering the patent they gave him
> because there was evidence to suggest he in fact did not have an
> original idea.  As I recall at the time, he was regarded as something of
> a spoiler, saying everyone was using his idea and therefore owed him a
> lot of money.  OTOH, that may have been just the image pushed by Novell.
>
> All of which is not to say WideBand doesn't have something special.
> Just that I'm a bit wary of 'unusual' claims.

	Billings's patent was "patently" bogus. He was laughed out of
patent offices in all the eropean countries where he applied. It seems
that US patent office gave the application to sombody that has never heard
of networks other that electrical. My gut reaction is to stay away from
anything Billings is involved in. julius