Re: [K12OSN] Gigabit on cat5 and even cat3!

Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Petre Scheie wrote:

Hmm.  "Roger Billings".  That rings a bell.  He didn't work for Novell,
he sued them in the early '90s, saying that Novell's Netware stole his
networking idea, for which he had some sort of patent.  Novell said his
patent was invalid because it wasn't original, that networking had been
around for years.  Bob Metcalf, who invented Ethernet, concurred with
Novell.  Not sure how it ever turned out, but googling did find one
article about the Patent office re-considering the patent they gave him
because there was evidence to suggest he in fact did not have an
original idea.  As I recall at the time, he was regarded as something of
a spoiler, saying everyone was using his idea and therefore owed him a
lot of money.  OTOH, that may have been just the image pushed by Novell.

All of which is not to say WideBand doesn't have something special.
Just that I'm a bit wary of 'unusual' claims.

Billings's patent was "patently" bogus. He was laughed out of patent offices in all the eropean countries where he applied. It seems that US patent office gave the application to sombody that has never heard of networks other that electrical. My gut reaction is to stay away from anything Billings is involved in. julius

Ohhhhh. See this is info I didn't know about. Interesting stuff. There's always another angle.