Re: [K12OSN] Conference??

Looking at the where question. Since the members of the list are so geographically separated, both in and out of the US, could we do it by video conference?

I agree that our geographic diversity would make attending a conference impossible for many people, but I fail to see how doing a teleconference thing would offer any value over the list itself. At least, a big enough value to justify the logistical nightmare that setting up a complex multi-node video conference session would entail.

That said, I think it would be sensible to have it in Portland, OR. Here's why:

1-That's where the genesis of K12LTSP happened. I know that's not what the list is entirely devoted to, but it is a big big part of it. Consider it a "thank you" to the creators by not making them travel much.

2-It's a beautiful city with a large (International?) airport, making travel easy.

3-It was good enough for the O'Reilly OSS conference this year.

<sarcasm>

4-It's only a couple hour drive for me.

</sarcasm>

Where ever it would be held, I think a conference would be great. I too would be willing to help organize it in whatever capacity I am able to.

-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-
Academic Computing and Networking Services Coordinator
Fern Ridge School District 28J
Elmira, OR
Office: 541-935-2253 x429
Cell: 541-914-2989