Re: [K12OSN] NFS /home but not apps?

> --- "Richard K. Ingalls" <awm002 mail connect more net> wrote:
> > Petre Scheie wrote:
> >
> > > The problem with 'local apps' is that you lose some of the fundamental
> > > benefits of thin clients: no local configuration to manage, the
> > > ability to use old/low-end hardware, and ability to easily & quickly
> > > replace a dead workstation.  If you're using 100Mb to the client,
> > > especially if it's switched 100Mb, then there's really no point to
> > > trying to cut down on network bandwidth, provided you have sufficient
> > > bandwidth from the switch to the server.  I think you're support time
> > > and hassles will go up significantly if you have to start managing an
> > > installed OS on the client, whether it's Linux or Windows.

In our case, we not only want to minimize use of the network, but we want to
take advantage of the hard disks we already have. Furthermore, we have so few
machines that we are not overly worried about configuring individual machines,
but by the same token we don't want to over-do it and that's why we want to know
if anyone's gotten NIS to work properly.

Thanks,

David Bucknell
Rose Marie Academy, Thailand
--