Re: [K12OSN] NFS /home but not apps?

Richard K. Ingalls wrote:
Petre Scheie wrote:

The problem with 'local apps' is that you lose some of the fundamental benefits of thin clients: no local configuration to manage, the ability to use old/low-end hardware, and ability to easily & quickly replace a dead workstation. If you're using 100Mb to the client, especially if it's switched 100Mb, then there's really no point to trying to cut down on network bandwidth, provided you have sufficient bandwidth from the switch to the server. I think you're support time and hassles will go up significantly if you have to start managing an installed OS on the client, whether it's Linux or Windows.

Yeah, you're probably right. BUT, I've got 24 boxes in my lab right now (Cel. 1Ghz, 128 Ram, 20 Gb drives, Windows98). I want to give my users access to their /home directories on the K12LTSP server (in another classroom with 10 clients). Right now, I'm using a program called WINSCP2 that connects via ssh. It works well, but I just want to manage fewer PCs. Maybe I could upgrade these to P3 or P4 CPUs and up the RAM significantly (1Gig) and make these boxes into K12LTSP servers for other classrooms? Then just use old Pentium 75s or AMD 150s as clients. What do you folks on the list think?

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do. If you just want those 24 machines, running Win98, to give users access to their /home directories on the K12ltsp server, couldn't you just set up samba on the server (which will share /home directories by default)?

Petre

Petre

Chris Bacigalupo wrote:

I've been thinking about this same concept.

A "Thick Client"?

From what I can tell, a 2.1 gig HD should be able to hold the OS and

basic productivity apps. I haven't set it up yet but I'm hoping some
form of LDAP/Samba will allow for cross platform user auth and NFS
mapping.

Chris Bacigalupo,
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Technical Coordinator
Harbor City International School
332 W. Mich. St. Ste. 300 Duluth, MN 55802
http://www.harborcityschool.org
tel. (218) 722.7574
cel. (218) 390.7582
+++++++++++++++++++++++

-----Original Message----- From: k12osn-admin redhat com [mailto:k12osn-admin redhat com] On Behalf Of Richard K. Ingalls Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 08:13 To: k12osn redhat com Subject: Re: [K12OSN] NFS /home but not apps?

David Bucknell wrote:

Dear All,

We have two needs: to make use of relatively new machines (128 RAM, 40 Gig hard disks, 1+ Gig CPU's) and to bring down the price of new machines by using thin clients.

I'm facing the same situation.

Our question is how to maximize use of existing hard disks and optimize

use of a Cat 5 100 MB network for 50 machines.

On the relatively new machines, we would like to mount just the /home dirs but save network bandwidth by using local apps rather than bringing them over the network.

This is what I'm considering doing also.

Is this possible? We have not been able to get it to work.

Of course it's possible! (smirk) But, I've not made it work yet for me (not attempted). What have you attempted to do? What were the errors /

problems you encountered. If you will tell us this, the wonderful, highly intelligent & friendly people on this list may be able to assist you (and in the process, assist me to do the same thing).

We were hoping to use NIS, too. People are telling us that it's unreliable, but I see it as the best answer.

Suggestions based on experience/ideas would be gratefully received.

Best wishes,

David Bucknell
Rose Marie Academy, Thailand