Re: [K12OSN] Server specs for 24 client lab

> I'm interested in setting up a server for my existing win98 lab.  I have
>  24 stand alone boxes (Cel 1Ghz, 128 Ram, 20 Gb HDD).  My students will
> most likely use Mozilla, OpenOffice and GIMP and some of the other
> stuff.  But, for the most part, they will run Mozilla and OO
> concurrently.  What should my server specs be?  Do I need dual Pentiums
> or can I get by with a single P4 2.4 Ghz?

I would go dual....but a single xeon with hyperthreading can do wonders. I
wouldn't be afraid to go with a single 2.4ghz Xeon, but you could be more
confident with dual.

> And LOTS of RAM (2 - 3 Gb)?

Yup. I'd go ahead and shoot for 3gb

> Can I get by with 100Mb Ethernet - I hope so 'cuz that's all I got.

If I can run 60 on 100mb then you can run 24 ;-). Should be no problem.

--
Caleb Wagnon MCP A+
Network Administrator

Fordyce Public Schools Redbugmail System.
   "Fordyce----Home of the Redbugs!!"
http://redbugs.dsc.k12.ar.us/