Re: [mail] Re: [K12OSN] NFS /home but not apps?

> Yeah, you're probably right.  BUT, I've got 24 boxes in my lab right now
> (Cel. 1Ghz, 128 Ram, 20 Gb drives, Windows98).  I want to give my users
> access to their /home directories on the K12LTSP server (in another
> classroom with 10 clients).  Right now, I'm using a program called
> WINSCP2 that connects via ssh.  It works well, but I just want to manage
> fewer PCs.  Maybe I could upgrade these to P3 or P4 CPUs and up the RAM
> significantly (1Gig) and make these boxes into K12LTSP servers for other
> classrooms?  Then just use old Pentium 75s or AMD 150s as clients.  What
> do you folks on the list think?

I would personally prefer to support twenty or so k12ltsp servers and a
large number of thin clients than even the 24 Windows clients you have
in your lab.  If the apps provided with k12ltsp can cover the
requirements of your environment.  Then I would move to a thin client
setup with all haste (documenting carefully along the way and carefully
thinking through the architecture choices etc.)  Some of the things you
may want to consider would be building out a couple of fast nfs servers
for your /home directories and testing with a few of the celerons as app
servers.  Let us know how your project goes, what you choose to do, and
what the results are...
Thanks.
Rob