Re: [K12OSN] partitions & size for k12

You don't have to separate directories into their own partitions, but I would recommend it. Here's how I do it:

/boot: anywhere between 50 and 100M, depending on what the distro tells me during the install.
/usr: about 6GB (mine uses about 3.5GB currently)
/var: about 1GB, since this handles logs. If you were doing mail on this box too, I'd make it much bigger.
/tmp: anywhere between 100M and 2GB (for many users, go 2GB)
/home: the rest
/: about 1GB--this is only a CYA measure. Actual space used in / is less than 150MB

On my public Web server, I go even further and separate /home/httpd (200MB) and /usr/local (1GB)

Swap: If you've got 4GB, I agree; a 2GB swap is quite sufficient. I've never subscribed to the idea of "double your DRAM amount" for swap space, unless you're short on DRAM (you're not). And here's another issue: remember that the x86 architecture can address only 4GB of DRAM directly. That means that, unless you're using the bigmem kernel or compile your own, you won't even be able to use anything beyond 4GB of addressable memory. That means memory of any type, including virtual memory, so that 2GB swap, I would imagine, will go sitting unused if you've already got 4GB DRAM. The bigmem kernel uses techniques to get around this, which is what folks do for big Oracle servers and such, but accessing that memory above 4GB is slower and similar to the old EMS trick from the MS-DOS days. This is one reason for 64-bit architectures like the Opteron and UltraSPARC--that 4GB limit goes bye-bye.

I partition this way both to accommodate future expansion and to protect my box. If there is, for example, a DoS attack against your box, and you're logging things (as sysadmins should be!), it's going to put stuff in /var. If everything's in the same partition, that disk will fill up and it will bring down your box until you free up that space. You want /tmp in a separate directory for similar reasons--user cruft accumulates there over time, just like the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory on Win32 OS's.

HTH,

--TP
Do you Slack!?
Slackware GNU/Linux <http://www.slackware.com/> - Clean, secure, and just works.

Mella wrote:

Hi!

If I plan do new k12 server, what partitions I must create?

Hardware: 4GB RAM, 3x74GB SCSI RAID5.
Purpose: TS, APP server for TS, Intranet webserver, Samba server for win
and mac computers, user /home folders. Approx. 40, max 60 remote users.

I don't plan hold e-mail on this machine. Email they get through IMAPS
from another special e-mail server.

I think:
/boot 100M
swap 2G (why I must do 8G swap part if all fits to memory?)

And here I give up.

Do I need separate /var /tmp /home and / part or can I put all together.

And, if i must separate, how i must calculate sizes of partitions?

The biggest spaceeater will be samba and users homespace. But I afraid
about /var and /tmp. How big they possible can be? I don´t want to waste
diskspace just in case..

Meelis