Re: [K12OSN] Windows 2000 computers connecting to Linux server

On Friday 13 June 2003 10:53 am, Jennifer Waters wrote:
> I am still not sure how to get my Windows 2000
> machines to talk to my linux server.  I have around
> 1400 students, teachers, and staff that will have
> access to these computers and I do not want to put all
> of the names on these computers.  Very impractical.  I
> have all of the names in a smbpasswd file, I know
> there has to be a way to access the names on this list
> when a person logs onto the Windows 2000 machine.  If
> someone has an idea, please let me know.  I'm afraid
> that I need the best possible notes on how to set it
> up if someone has an answer.
>
> I looked at Webmin, but I couldn't figure out how to
> use it to access the list that I have and then have
> the Windows 2000 machines see it.  The Windows 98
> machines have no problems.

I'm really confused here. So your Windows 98 machines are authenticating? To
get 2000 or XP machines to authenticate you have to first add the machine
name with a dollar sign after it in to your linux users (not samba users).
Like machine1$
--
Caleb Wagnon MCP A+
Network Administrator