Re: [K12OSN] Questions on Lowest Specs

At 10:31 PM 6/12/2003 -0700, you wrote:
I'm just beginning to start a K12LTSM server project, and I don't have many options when dealing with servers.. Can anyone help me with what they think could be the lowest requirements for a server? help will be much appreciated.

I have been serving 13 terminals with a Quad Processor P-Pro 200 machine with 1GB of RAM. It was certainly usable, but also certainly not snappy. Since this is somewhat odd hardware, I don't know how helpful this information would be to you, but the P-pro is about on par with a Pentium 2 performance-per-Mhz-wise so you can surely draw some conclusions there. There are so many variables to consider when talking about "minimum requirements", it really depends on what your users do, how many users you have, and how the terminals are configured. Mine were primarily doing word processing with Abiword web browsing with Mozilla, running a pared-down Gnome DE.

-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-
Academic Computing and Networking Services Coordinator
Fern Ridge School District 28J
Elmira, OR
Office: 541-935-2253 x429
Cell: 541-914-2989