[K12OSN] SCSI Question

I just installed a new IBM/Hitachi 36 gb LVD scsi harddrive + Adaptec 29160
controller in our server.  The cabling is a two-connector LVD bus with
terminator at the end.  The harddrive was installed on the connector closest
to the terminator end. The adapter defaults to device #7.  The drive,
unjumpered, is supposed to default to device #0.

After installing the hardware using the defaults noted above, the hd came up
as device #6.  If I jumpered the hd to be device #1, it came up as all 15
devices!  Obviously, that would not work.  I wanted the hd to be device #0
so I could  boot from it.  I manually set the controller to disable
termination rather than the default "automatic" setting, but it did not make
any difference.

I went ahead and installed k12ltsp 3.1.0 on the drive as scsi device #6
which came up as /dev/sda during the install.  All is working well, except I
am forced to boot from /dev/hda or floppy.

Any suggestions as to what I am overlooking?

Dan