Re: [K12OSN] Windows 2000 computers connecting to Linux server

Jennifer Waters wrote:

> I am still not sure how to get my Windows 2000
> machines to talk to my linux server.  I have around
> 1400 students, teachers, and staff that will have
> access to these computers and I do not want to put all
> of the names on these computers.  Very impractical.  I
> have all of the names in a smbpasswd file, I know
> there has to be a way to access the names on this list
> when a person logs onto the Windows 2000 machine.  If
> someone has an idea, please let me know.  I'm afraid
> that I need the best possible notes on how to set it
> up if someone has an answer.
>
> I looked at Webmin, but I couldn't figure out how to
> use it to access the list that I have and then have
> the Windows 2000 machines see it.  The Windows 98
> machines have no problems.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Jennifer

If I understand correctly it sounds like you need to join the 2000 boxes
to the domain and then login like usual. There are several HOWTO's out
there on the subject. In short though, while this is not a complete
smb.conf file I think it covers the big things that you need for domain
logons. Notice the 'add user script' line. It creates the machine
account that you need for 2000 boxes to log to a domain. It will require
that you create a 'machines' group (or change the group name on that
line) on your samba domain controller. You'll also need to create a
'root' account in samba. The password on this root account does not need
to be the same as the linux root password (I don't believe) but you do
need this account when you go to the 2000 box to join it to the domain.
We have several boxes running this way doing domain logons for 2000 and
9x machines. Works good. Note that if you have any XP pro machines there
is a registry patch (google for signorseal (I think)) that is required
before domain logons will work. XP home doesn't do domains logons at
all.

#======================= Global Settings =======================
[global]

   workgroup = CLCCA
   netbios name = CLCCA-DC1

   security = user

   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

   local master = yes
   os level = 63
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   domain admin group = @adm
   logon script = %U.bat
   wins support = yes

# Script for domain controller for adding machines:
   add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -c
'Machine Account' -s /bin/false -M %u

#============================ Share Definitions =================

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain
Logons
[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /home/netlogon