Re: [K12OSN] Questions on Lowest Specs

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 22:40, Petre Scheie wrote:
> I should add that I tend to have a perverse interest in seeing how 'low'
> I can go, hardware-wise, in building systems and still have them be
> usable.  So, my recommendations are typically the absolute minimum a
> usable system can tolerate.  But if you're just exploring, low end stuff
> can be fine.

Here's a thought:
Check out rule-project.org that allows you to install the most
up-to-date kernel and certain apps on a low-end PC that normally
wouldn't cope with such a load.  Then add the terminal server files from
LTSP to that old server.  Find out if that breaks anything and then try
to get a few clients logged on.  Anyone prepared to give it a go please
let us know the results because I think that would be a useful
contribution to low-budget schools in less-developed countries ;-)

Gavin.