Re: [K12OSN] Finishing touches on ldap- but help!

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 14:06, Jim wrote:

[snipped]

> Directory_administrator 1.5.1-1 seems to be more friendly (with its big
> NewUser icon)
> but it reports back that I have insufficient access to finish adding a
> new user,
> and I'm logged on as root on the server.

    This isn't a matter of the local server; no matter what user, you
have to login to the LDAP server seperately. It doesn't rely on local
user names either; it's a security 'bubble' all it's own.

    The problem is in the access to the LDAP server itself. I think it's
slapd.conf that says who can access what.  If you didn't throw it away,
the default server mentions how to do this.  Or, check the man page.
It's easier than it looks, but easy to make vulnerable. It's a matter of
logging in with a valid username/password, and having that account
read/write access.

    I don't have the actual clue before me, but if you haven't already
worked this out, and you can't find it where I pointed, let me know.

Brian Fahrlander                             Linux Zealot, Conservative,
Evansville, IN                                             and Technomad
ICQ 5119262                                    http://www.kamakiriad.com
Linux: it's all about choice and better software.      Live free or die.