[K12OSN] don't use Hubs was: 2 network cards on a Dell GX-110

Petre Scheie wrote:

If/when you do get it working, I'd be interested to hear if you see any performance difference with apps running on the client versus the console. What I notice is that many (most? all?) apps take two to three times as long to load on the client as on the console. I have just one client at the moment, a P166 with a 100Mb NIC, with a 100Mb hub connecting the two, nothing else is plugged into the hub. The problem could be with the client although I used this same client and hub in our test lab, using a dual Xeon 2.4Ghz server, and there I noticed no difference between that client and some other 700Mhz clients. Perhaps it has to do with the video card on the client (?). Anyway, I'd like to hear about the performance you get, just to compare notes.

It will be the hub. Even a $30 switch is wayyyy faster than a hub.

Do you have a crossover ethernet cable ? Try that and observe the difference. 8-) then go buy yourself the cheapest _switch_ you can find.

/steve