Re: [K12OSN] Adding Users in Direcotry_administrator - Help!

Hello Eric,

Thank you for the ideas. I used the ldaphacks from the link on another email message. I'm not sure who it was on this list right now, but the user had a functioning system up and running... I think!

Hello,

Sorry about my last message about ldap. It got clippped for some reason... Hotmail...

I have used the ldaphack script to config the ldap server, and both gq and directory_administrator can open it.

Users already created on my server BEFORE (sorry to yell!) the ldaphack config-server script is run can log onto a remote client/stand-alone.

I'm using NFSed homes and everything seems to be fine from stand-alone logons.

Hence all the warnings not to use this stuff on production servers until all the details are shaken out and documented... ;-)

Yes, I'm on my trusty-up-to-now home box-

How do I add new users?! I can't find the appropriate Webmin script, or it I use the provides ldaphack adduser script, how much info do I need to provide?

Directory_administrator seems to be more friendly (with its big NewUser icon) but it reports back that I have insufficient access to finish adding a new user.

Thanks for any ideas,

If you are logging in as a regular user, you won't have access to add/edit/ delete other users. You need to log in as an administrator.

Take a look in /etc/openldap/slapd.conf. The "rootdn" line what you want
to log in as, it will be something like  "cn=root,dc=your,dc=domain,dc=com"
If you can't remember the password, it will be located in /etc/ldap.secret
(both files are only readable by root).

Create a new profile in directory_administrator/gq and you should have no problems adding a new user.

Depending on wether you used the "this is a hack" scripts or "do not use" scripts, there will also be a set of perl scripts that will help you create/modify/delete users. If you used the ldap-scripts RPM from my "do not use" directory, they will be located in /usr/share/ldap-scripts/ Otherwise they will be in /root/ldaphacks/ or whereever you put them. These scripts act the same as the stock useradd, usermod, userdel (and groupadd, groupmod, groupdel) but are prepended with an "l" (i.e. luseradd, lusermod, etc).

Note that newer versions of Red Hat have the "libuser" package, which
contains luseradd, lusermod, etc. These utilities can do the same
function, but are not configured to do LDAP by default. So, don't try
to use the luseradd, lusermod, etc programs located in /usr/sbin/

--

Yes, I have just checked the above, and I am root and the password is good. I tried to make a new profile, deleted the old one, tested with the test-setup-button, and all reported fine...

Still can't add users...

Puzzled but glad its Friday,

Jim