Re: [K12OSN] Menus Redhat 8.0

Modifying Redhat menus so they are system wide.

I've been working on this rather intensly for nearly a week. I lost a lot of time looking for solutions and information
that just does not seem to exist. I have actually gotten to the point where I am pretty familiar with how it works and I
have created my own menu that is available system wide (which is the only good news here). I have to tell you the whole
process is pretty ugly but it can be done if you have the time.

here are some of the basics to get you started. I am more familiar with KDE but I have found that Gnome uses the
same configuration information and works very much the same.

For user specific changes I suggest reading about menus in the user guide at the following URL
http://www.gnome.org/learn/users-guide/latest//goseditmainmenu-1.html

If you want system wide menus you have to modify multiple configuration files and make sure they match up.
Here is a basic outline to get you started.

there are 3 things that must be modified to change the default menu.
1) The basic menu structure is defined by an XML file /etc/X11/desktop-menus/applications.menu
If you know anything about XML or even HTML it should be fairly obvious how it outlines the menus and sub menus. For each folder entry. Within the <Folder> <\Folder> tags you will find <keyword> entries. These correspond to values in the appname.desktop files which defined these keywords on Categories= parameter. If these keywords "match:" the keyworks and rules for a particular <Folder> then that application is include in that menu entry. These matching rules can be a little confusing.
appnames for the desktop files may not nessisarily be very meaningful. The entry name is in the desktop file name=/
2) Nearly all of the appname.desktop files are located in /usr/share/applications
but some may also be found in the following directories
/etc/X11/applnk
/usr/share/applnk
/usr/share/conrol-center-2.0/capplets
/usr/share/gnome/apps
The primary keyword you are interested in:
Name= defines the name that appears in the menu
Categories= defines the keywords that match to the <folder> <keyword> keywords
3) There is another directory /usr/share/desktop-menu-files/ which contains dirname.directory entires. These define the
the menu and submenu entries. If you add additional menu items you will need to create
additioinal entries ( same applies to desktop entries in step 2 above if you want to add applications to the menu)
You are probably only interested in one of the paramenters
name= defines the name of the menu directory or folder as you prefer.

There are a lot of bugs in these configuration files so somethings do not appear where I expect they should have.
I start by moving all of the desktop files to individual directories under /usr/share/applications based on application groups or
functional types. I then started adding keywords for individual product groups like OpenOffice. Then I added additional folders to the main XML configuration. It's looking a whole lot better already but it's messy work. I'd like to come up with some scripts that might help but with this configuration it is a major issue deciding how you want the menu arranged.

Let me know if you'd like more information. I'm still working on this.

Paul

Sean Murray wrote:

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone has worked out how to edit the Gnome menus in the latest version. And better still edit them so that every user shares the same menus.

I have been trying to ages... but so far have had no luck.

*Sean Murray* Computer Network Technician Catholic College Bendigo sean ccb vic edu au _http://www.ccb.vic.edu.au_

      Microsoft Certified Professional
      Windows 2000 Server
      Windows 2000 Professional