Re: [K12OSN] Possible to use CD instead of boot rom?

Hi Duane,

Start with making a bootable syslinux floppy, since you can easily modify to your satisfaction.. and then once it is all good, slap it all on a ISO9660 (.iso) image and burn to a CD.

Going straight down the CD path will just get you lots of coasters.. 8-)

I have thought for some time that a bootable CD would be a good diagnosis tool. Not something big like knoppix, but just a hardware scanner that rummages through your video cards, NICs, whatever in quickfire fashion, and spits out what it finds. It would be impressive to watch it diagnose the whole system in a flash..

hmmmm....

/steve

Duane Wilson wrote:

Hi all,
I need to boot some old Compaq Ipaq towers into either Win2k or K12ltsp. No Floppy drives on the Compaqs. Could use onboard NIC with PXE. It works, but then I don't know how to give option for Win2k.

If I could make a CD with the Rom-O-Matic boot sequence then the kids could boot off of the CD for K12ltsp or the HD for Win2K.

Trouble is I can't find any info out there in cyberspace that tells me how to do this.