Alteratives to Wiki - was Re: [K12OSN] Menus Redhat 8.0

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 23:43, Gavin Chester wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 21:54, Petre Scheie wrote:
> > Could you add your notes to the wiki I started on customizing the menus
> > & icons?  There may be some overlap between what you have and what I
> > wrote; and if you want to edit what I wrote, go right ahead.  But the
> > more important part is to have as much info/documentation about these
> > sorts of things as possible.
> >
> > This touches what I see as a weakness to wikis: the idea that everyone
> > can edit a given document implies that there should be/will be just one
> > document on a given subject, and everyone helps to refine that one
> > document.
>
> <snip>
>
> >  I guess this is just long winded way of saying I
> > wish the wiki had a better mechanism for people to append info to
> > existing docs.
> >
> > Petre
>
> I couldn't agree more.  Initially, I found the idea of a Wiki
> attractive in that it allowed *interactive* web pages to be built
> by anyone - very democratic like Open Source software itself.  But,
> once the gloss wears off you realise that very useful info can be
> wiped away by a well-meaning but misguided contributor.  The result
> could well be complete rubbish.
>
> What's the alternative?  Perhaps instead of a Wiki or FAQ-omatic
> system, a document versioning system would be better to fulfil
> what Petre was describing.  Many on this list being in the education
> sector would probably know suitable software.  Is setting up a CVS
> (for documents - not software development) a better way to go?
>
> Please offer your ideas, because I have fruitlessly
> pondered this issue more than once and welcome guidance.
>
> Regards, Gavin.

I know it hasn't been a great deal of time since first posting, but
my request to brainstorm ideas for an alternative to a Wiki (idea
initiated by Petre, in a way) seems to have been lost
by not having an appropriate subject title.  So, I'm taking the
liberty of re-posting as a new thread :-).  Let the games begin ...
please.

--
Regards,

	Gavin Chester

	mailto: gc gwchester com
	962 Williams Rd, Dwellingup, Western Australia 6213
	Tel: (08)95381102  Fax: (08)95381409