Re: [K12OSN] I need your opinion about these machines

Make sure you *try* a PCI NIC in one before you assume it will work. I've got a 133Mhz 486 mobo with PCI slots, but I can't get it to run as a client. During the loading of the kernel it has various problems; I forget the particulars, but the bottom line was it wasn't usable.

Petre

David Trask wrote:
Oops...this wasn't supposed to go to you...I was asking someone else their
opinion...oh well....LOL...the mind is the first thing to go
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I need your opinion....given these specs....do ya' think these will work with K12LTSP? I have plenty of network cards....so if they have PCI slots, then that's not an issue. My biggest concern is the video cards and the general architecture....any opinions? I could use them if they'd work for terminals for K12LTSP. I need more terminals.

Let me know your opinions....especially about the VESA Trident
cards....(whether or not they'll work)
+++++++++++++++++++

For the most part (50) they are 486 DX2 66 mhz..
AT style case/MBs Mini Towers, 16 mb of ram (72 pin simms) 540MB hard drive... or larger.. VESA Trident Video Cards VESA IO/IDE controllers...
a few have had HDs or floppys removed...

there are 20 or so that range from 486 25mhz to 120mhz...
hard drives 420mb - 2gb varying controllers/video... some do have 10 MB (NE2000) network cards and I could find some more of
them.... as far as monitors go... mostly 15" CTX as well as others 14-15" and a
few 17".. a few (have been identified) need a lil work (yellow screens) 2 minutes
with a soldering iron and they would be fine
my guess is that 90%+ of the systems & monitors would be functional... a
few for parts etc..

David N. Trask Technology Teacher/Coordinator Vassalboro Community School dtrask vcs u52 k12 me us (207)923-3100