Re: [K12OSN] Re: Alteratives to Wiki

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 23:38, John Ingleby wrote:
> For a wiki that definitely *does* work see:
>
> http://www.wikipedia.org
>
> I'd love to know what makes it tick!
>
> John Ingleby
> ************

That IS a good Wiki - I've always been impressed by it.

In having another look at it and delving more into the depths of its
version tracking I realised what my beef is with how a Wiki operates: An
individual document badly needs a moderator, IMHO.

Borrowing from the software development model with CVS: In open source
software projects patches are welcomed, but no one can just change the
software as they want.  I reckon the same should go for a public
document/HOW TO/whatever - as a quality control mechanism that still
retains the openness of the document while preventing it getting out of
hand.

Anyone have any more suggestions of what could satisfy what I'm ranting
about?

Gavin