[K12OSN] Runlevel 3

Kale,

	The server like the workstation run at different runlevels.  Runlevel 3
is considered a non-graphics mode with normally full network
configuration for running.  The server does not show a graphics screen
at boot up on the console.  I expect that you want the workstation to
show the grahics logon at startup of the client.  With each runlevel,
you can specify which services are turned on or off.  On the server,
check out which services are running at runlevel 3 versus runlevel 5.  I
believe that you will find a difference.  I wanted my server to run at
runlevel 3, but have the same functionality without the graphics logon
screen of runlevel 5.  I compared the differences and made them the same
without the graphical logon.  You will also need to find the command for
the remote graphical login screen in "/etc/inittab" and make sure that
is starting up also in runlevel 3.  The command in "/etc/inittab" starts
with prf...  something like that, sorry I can't remember the proper
syntax. I had to make that change also.  Now, the server run at runlevel
3 and the clients (workstations) can run at runlevel 5, so you have a
graphical logon available.  Once I realized the differences in the
runlevels, things fell into place.

	I hope this helped.

Dan

        Message: 1 Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 08:44:27 -0700 (PDT) From:
        Jonathan Bartlett To: k12osn redhat com Subject: Re: [K12OSN]
        Runlevel 3 Reply-To: k12osn redhat com

        The runlevel on boot is configured via /etc/inittab. The line
        saying:

        id:5:initdefault:

        That "5" is the runlevel on bootup.

        Jon

        On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Access Systems wrote:

        > On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Kale Schaub wrote:
        >
        > > I changed the necesary configuration and started the
        workstation in run
        > > level three. I get a default bash shell, and the server's
        /opt/ltsp/i386
        > > directory is mounted on /. This is not very usefull as there
        is a very
        > > limited number of commands/programs accesible and there is
        no prompt for

--
Daniel Button <kdanb nelab net>