Re: [K12OSN] Disable nautilus at icewm startup and very slowsystemperformance.

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Jim Christiansen wrote:

>About the logon manager though-  What is the default logon manger?  It
>appears to be gnome's but when I list the processes I get 30 kdm_greeting
>(or something close to this spelling) running at 17 megs EACH.  30 x 17megs
>is a pile of wasted ram and I know I never had this load with 30 boxes just
>sitting around waiting for students to logon.  At a fresh reboot for the
>server and with 30 clients idling, I'm 500 megs down.  It used to be less
>than 200 megs with the old 3.0.1 setup.

The default display manager in K12LTSP 2.x and 3.1.x is GDM. In 3.0.x,
it is KDM. If you upgrade from 3.0.x to 3.1.x, it will remain KDM.

Switching back-and-forth is pretty easy, there is probably a GUI tool
but I just do it by hand.

Edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop and set the DISPLAYMANAGER variable:

for GDM:

	DISPLAYMANAGER="GNOME"

for KDM:

	DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

This is read on startup, so you'll need to reboot.

-Eric