Re: [K12OSN] Terminal server

Doug,

THe problem is not the runlevel, it's the display manager
configuration.

By default, if you start the display mgr (xdm, gdm, kdm) it
will launch an xserver on the console of the server.

It just so happens that you are launching the display mgr
in runlevel 5 and NOT runlevel 3.  so, you don't
see X on the console, but you don't get a login on the
workstations.

You probably don't get other things that the workstation needs,
such as nfs or dhcp.

That's ok,  set your server for runlevel 5, but configure
your display manager to NOT launch X on the console.

If you are running XDM or KDM, then you need to edit your
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file and comment out the line that
starts with ":0".

If you are using GDM, then you need to edit the
/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf file.  Down near the bottom
is a section for starting local Xservers.  Comment
out the line for the console. I don't remember exactly what
it looks like, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

That's it, you should now have X on the workstations complete
with a login box, but you should have a character mode
login on the console.

This is the way I prefer to run things, so that if the server
has any error messages, they'll be on the console screen, and
not hidden by X.

Hope that helps,

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org