Re: [K12OSN] Cyrus Logic

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 10:57, omrezje.net wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I want to setup thin client with some old Packard  Bell 486DX-2 66MHz
> / 12MB RAM PC. I have a boot floppy and network works > boots from
> server, but CAN NOT setup X GUI. VGA card is onboard CirrusLogic. Does
> any of you have any experiences ow to setup XFree ???

There are some cirrus logic chips (the 5445 I think is one of them) that
were supported under Xfree86 3.x, but are no longer supported under the
4.x series. I ran into this problem with some servers I put together
last year. The only solution I had was to put in another video card,
since running the older X was out of the question. It might be possible
to run it using a generic VESA or VGA driver, but you would lose any
acceleration it might offer, and I didn't try it. Go to the xfree86.org
site and check their hardware list, and make sure to cross-reference
your card's chipset with the version it says it is supported in, you
might be in for a surprise.

-Quentin-