Re: [K12OSN] open-source-now! for real!

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 16:22, Quentin Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 14:04, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> > But an Apple machine for
> > webserving?  Yikes!  Those things are great for producing content for
> > the graphics-type people, but as servers they're seriously wasted.
> > (Yeah, I mean that both ways!)
>
> Oh come now, the xserves are sweet little servers. A little spendy per
> performance unit, but they are very nice machines. Running OSX headless
> is just like running any other competent *nix server. Apple uses them
> for serving their new music service, and that seems to do well enough.
> Of course, if you _had to_, you could always just install linux on it
> instead... ;)

    Well don't get me wrong; I've been in this business longer than IBM;
I've seen the Apple 2, Lisa (a Xenix box, BTW) and all kinds of
_hardware_ and it's the best in the wide market. Period.  It's made to
be worked on, it's all standard (within the authorized mfgs) and things
like the cube and the G4 make me swoon.  I've always been a fan of the
Motorola 68K based machines.  Simpler, faster, and used in the
mainstream almost exclusively by Apple, unfortunately.

    But their GUI is NOT MY STYLE.  One button on the mouse means it
requires you to drag your CD icon to the trash can to eject it. That's
just silly and counter-intuitive. But graphical editing is it's main
claim to fame....CAUSE THEY RULE!  :)  But spending thousands of dollars
on a machine that, under Linux, can be a three year old model with a
free OS that never stops execept for hardware changes and/or
earthquakes.  It's just so hard to justify.  It's like running that
other OS on there...except those guys like to get viruses, charge you
for it, and want more and more hardware under it every two years...
ICQ  5119262