Re: [K12OSN] Cyrus Logic

--- Quentin Hartman <qhartman lane k12 or us> wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 10:57, omrezje.net wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I want to setup thin client with some old Packard  Bell 486DX-2 66MHz
> > / 12MB RAM PC. I have a boot floppy and network works > boots from
> > server, but CAN NOT setup X GUI. VGA card is onboard CirrusLogic. Does
> > any of you have any experiences ow to setup XFree ???
>
> There are some cirrus logic chips (the 5445 I think is one of them) that
> were supported under Xfree86 3.x, but are no longer supported under the
> 4.x series. I ran into this problem with some servers I put together
> last year. The only solution I had was to put in another video card,
> since running the older X was out of the question. It might be possible
> to run it using a generic VESA or VGA driver, but you would lose any
> acceleration it might offer, and I didn't try it. Go to the xfree86.org
> site and check their hardware list, and make sure to cross-reference
> your card's chipset with the version it says it is supported in, you
> might be in for a surprise.
>
> -Quentin-

Try setting it to XF86_SVGA.  Works for the old Cirrus Logic gd543x video I
have on a couple of 486's...

You also may need the assistance of the Modeline calculator:

http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl

XFree86 4.x does not support CL AFAIK...  You can check the driver status
at:

http://www.xfree86.org/current/Status.html

James Jensen