[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN digest, Vol 1 #1159 - 14 msgs

>Subject: Re: [K12OSN] open-source-now!  for real!
>From: Brian Fahrlander <kilroy kamakiriad com>
>To: k12osn redhat com
>Date: 24 Jun 2003 16:04:30 -0500
>

>--=-Y5gf8bAc5YMtqr7xR/ek
>
>On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 15:52, anthony baldwin wrote:
>> The tech admin at my school just bought two new servers, one apple
>> and one linux (I think RH) server.  All student and staff files and info
>> mgmt will be moved to the linux server.  the apple will host web
>> services, mail and stuff.  (of course, I figured that could ALL have
>> been done nicely on the linux server).
>
>    ICK!  I love management getting Linux, which probably indicates an
>LTSP situation and I'm all for that!  But an Apple machine for
>webserving?  Yikes!  Those things are great for producing content for
>the graphics-type people, but as servers they're seriously wasted.
>(Yeah, I mean that both ways!)

That's kind of how I felt.  Why spend the big bucks for an Apple server when you can have the same services on the linux box.  I didn't understand why she bought the apple server.  seemed like a needless expense.  they are not setting up a terminal server.  Classroom machines will still run doze or whatever old outdated mac os they have (some are still running os 8.1)  although she is open to discussing YDL on some of the older macs.  the linux server will be hosting gradebooks and student info mgmt stuff.  I can't figure for the life of me why not mail and webservices, too.

>> If only Ed were here to hear that...
>>=20
>> BTW, one of my students walked into homeroom yesterday and said,
>> Hey, Mr. B...Microsoft Works--isn't that what you call an oxymoron?"
>> What a great kid!
>> (sorry about the crosspost)
>
>    Yes...wrinkling my lip like Clinton does] Yes, it is.  :)

tony

http://www.School-Library.net
Freedom to Learn!

School-Library.net