Re: [K12OSN] Wal-Mart PCs

At 12:31 AM 6/26/2003 -0400, you wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with the new Wal-Mart computers being
offered on the web?

We bought 2 of the Wal-Mart PCs for evaluation with Lindows OS. They each have a different mother board. One uses a Soyo and the other Gigabyte. Not sure of the exact models. They seem like nice little machines. I have loaded Lindows, Mandrake9.1, stock RH8, RH9, and K12OS (not LTSP) on them. One of them has sound problems with RH9/K12. Do not know why. Mandrake9.1 and Lindows used the same sound driver and had no problems (It uses the trident driver and the SiS 735 chipset, I think. All that stuff is at home.) At this time I have to run with fat clients (no money for a network upgrade or a good server) and they seemed like a good cheap machine. They are a little noisy fan-wise, but I think they will be good to fill a couple of holes we have at a decent price.

I was impressed with Lindows. They did a nice job with it and their $500 site license in not bad, but K12 delivers a product that is better targeted to my users (Grades 5-8), uses Red Hat which I am more familiar with (important since I am a volunteer, not full time), and is free.

If anyone has good sound debugging tips I would not mind hearing them. I checked the mixer volume already but after that I am sort of stuck as where to go next. RH9 seems happy to detect the card, just no sound. The other system has no problem (VIA chipset).

Hope this is useful.

Tom Kovalcik Orion Design Technologies 122 Mast Road Lee, NH 03824 Phone: (603) 659-9800 x104 FAX: (603) 659-9870 kovalcik orion-design com Web site: http://www.orion-design.com