Re: [K12OSN] howto stop nautilus from starting up when using icewm

BTW, I added mention of this to the wiki on turning off Nautilus, as I too like the desktop icons on top of IceWM, but was frustrated by the file manager window automatically loading, too. And I figure Caleb and I are not alone in that...

Petre

Petre Scheie wrote:
Dear picky- ;-)
Change the line in the file mentioned below from

/usr/bin/nautilus &

/usr/bin/nautilus -n &

and I think you'll get the nautilus desktop but not the file manager window. I tried this manually on my k12ltsp 3.0.1 box at the office and it worked, but I should note that it's running kdm rather than gdm (I forget why I changed it) and I haven't been able to find where to make these changes for icewm's startup when it's called by kdm (anyone know?). So, to test it, I logged in, choosing IceWM for the session type, which automatically launched nautilus, then killed nautilus via a terminal window, then ran 'nautilus -n' in the same terminal window, and I got the desktop but no file manager window. I'll test this on my k12ltsp ver. 2.0.1 box at home tonight just to verify it, perhaps even to make it the default if it doesn't slow things down too much.

Petre