[K12OSN] Firewall Questions...

Hi list members!

I've got a firewall question for you...

First some details...

I've got several linux boxes (RedHat 8) and I use the default iptables firewall that comes standard. I administer them via webmin. But they aren't setup to be firewalls for the entire network. These boxes are: 1 web/email server, 1 proxy filter (DansGuardian), 2 K12LTSP servers.

Can / should I setup my current proxy filter to be my network firewall? Here are the box stats:
- Celeron 533 Mhz
- 380 Mb RAM
- 15 Gb HDD
- 2 NICs (one not being used currently)
- RedHat 8
- DansGuardian & squid
- transparent proxy settings (via DansGuardian's instructions)

Can this box handle the extra work of being the firewall for the entire network (approx 100 clients) as well as being the proxy filter?

How do I set it up to be the firewall for the entire network? Do I simply tell all other machines to use this existing machine as their gateway to the internet? Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks for your help!!

Richard K. Ingalls
awm002 mail connect more net

"According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist."