Re: [K12OSN] howto stop nautilus from starting up when using icewm

Hmm. I changed my /etc/sysconfig/desktop file to run gdm instead of kdm, rebooted (I hate doing that in principle, but that's another story), logged in on the console and verified that gdm was running and not kdm, and then logged in on a client workstation using IceWM with the 'nautilus -n &' setting in the /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/IceWM file, and it worked: I got the desktop & icons but not the file manager window. But to answer your question, no, whether you're running gdm or kdm shouldn't matter, as long as you edit the correct file. (Scratches head in puzzlement...)

You might try 'nautilus --no-default-window &' in the /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/IceWM file. Actually, try commenting out nautilus altogether, login use IceWM, open a terminal window, and call 'nautilus -n &' manually and see what happens.

Petre