Re: [K12OSN] Linux on Older PCs

With only 16-32MB of memory, it's going to be rough. You might consider dedicating a box to each application, and then have the workstations call the respective app through remsh, running them on the server but displaying them locally. That way you get some efficiency of shared memory, in that, for example, Server 1 can save memory by not running X at all, but the workstations can run, say, the dillo web browser on it but display it locally. And then on the workstations, don't run *any* apps locally, run them on the three or four machines you designate to be 'servers'. Try to get as much memory as you can in the servers, obviously. For a window manager, I'd consider Ice or wm2 (see www.plig.org/xwinman for info a bunch of window managers).

Petre

Richard K. Ingalls wrote:
I've got several older PCs (AMD 150 Mhz - 300 Mhz and Pentium 100 Mhz) with minimal RAM 16 Mb - 32 Mb. I know these will be fine as clients, BUT, I can't afford to set up another server for these clients (yet). Is there a Linux distro that runs well on something this old? I need them to run a web browser / email client, word processor, IM client (GAIM). What window manager would you recommend? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!