RE: [K12OSN] Linux on Older PCs

> Richard K. Ingalls wrote:
>
> I've got several older PCs (AMD 150 Mhz - 300 Mhz and Pentium 100 Mhz)
> with minimal RAM 16 Mb - 32 Mb.  I know these will be fine as clients,
> BUT, I can't afford to set up another server for these clients (yet).
> Is there a Linux distro that runs well on something this old?  I need
> them to run a web browser / email client, word processor, IM client
> (GAIM).  What window manager would you recommend?  Any help would be
> appreciated.  Thanks!

I always recommend Vectorlinux for standalone older machines.  It should
work fine on the machines you mention.  It's based on Slackware and is a
very simple install routine: it's one of those preinstalled systems that
unzips itself onto the HD and then puts you through some configuration
steps (Peanut Linux also installs like this).  It installs in about 300
MB, and gives a good selection of gui apps and a couple of lightweight
desktops to choose from (Icewm and Xfce).  Apart from Lynx for text mode
browsing and Dillo for graphical, Vector comes with Opera 6 for a pretty
capable graphical browser.  For email, you have Sylpheed (and Mutt, if
folks can handle CLI).  Gaim comes preinstalled as well (0.59, I believe).
I think Vectorlinux could offer you a quick install that would work well
on those machines with little or no need for further modification.  Btw:
it uses pkgtool/installpkg - Slack's package management tools - for
additional package/software installation.

James