Re: [K12OSN] Wal-Mart PCs

----- Original Message -----
From: James Jensen <jmsjnsnsatx yahoo com>
Date: Friday, June 27, 2003 9:28 pm
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Wal-Mart PCs

> Actually, XP is not *too* bad if you get your users to stop running as
> administrator and create standard user accounts...
>
> Still, I loathe working with XP (almost as much as WinME...almost),
> butthat's just me...

A quick off-topic tangent...
I support an NT network but there is a site that installs XP machines on their own.  After their staff has set up a machine w/o my knowledge I get called because invariably a student has changed the teacher's password (which by default is the admin account.  If I manage to get into these machines I create a password protected admin account for the support techs and set everyone else's privileges to "guest".  I also set my account to use the "Classic" view and menus, as I *hate* the XP desktop.  XP is a much improved OS over 98 but MS really screwed up in the way they set up the user accounts.

Jim Anderson

"There is no such thing as perfection... only varying levels of
pain."

Registered Linux user #269312
http://counter.li.org