RE: [K12OSN] Linux on Older PCs

On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 03:32, James Miller (office) wrote:
> > Richard K. Ingalls wrote:
> >
> > I've got several older PCs (AMD 150 Mhz - 300 Mhz and Pentium 100 Mhz)
> > with minimal RAM 16 Mb - 32 Mb.  I know these will be fine as clients,
> > BUT, I can't afford to set up another server for these clients (yet).
> > Is there a Linux distro that runs well on something this old?  I need
> > them to run a web browser / email client, word processor, IM client
> > (GAIM).  What window manager would you recommend?  Any help would be
> > appreciated.  Thanks!
> >
> I always recommend Vectorlinux for standalone older machines.  It should
> work fine on the machines you mention.  It's based on Slackware and is a
> very simple install routine: it's one of those preinstalled systems that

<snip>

Another option to consider seriously is a project setup specifically to
allow older PCs to run the latest kernel and up-to-date versions of most
applications. It's the Rule Project:

http://www.rule-project.org/en/index.php

Purposes of the project:
	Modify the current Red Hat Linux installer so that it runs in less than
32 MB of RAM, or create a new one if needed (done)
	Select, test, and (if needed) package the system and desktop
applications which give the greatest real functionality with the
smallest consumption of CPU and RAM resources
	Create another installation option of the Red Hat Linux distribution
(not another distribution, see the FAQ), containing all and only the
packages above, optimized to run either a server, or a basic desktop on
obsolete hardware with very little RAM and HD space.
	Promote and support (especially in developing countries) the use of
this install option with schools, public and private organizations.

The project has a list of recommended software for giving all the
functions you wanted with minimal disk size and CPU overhead:

http://www.rule-project.org/en/sw/

One of their key contributions is _Slinky_ A completely new installer
for Red Hat, using busybox - or _Miniconda_ A stripped down version of
the Red Hat anaconda installer, using less than 32 MB of RAM

The project essentially allows Redhat (version 8, at the moment) to
install whereas it normally spits the dummy during install on PCs with
less that 32Mb of RAM.

HTH

--
Regards,

	Gavin Chester

	mailto: gc gwchester com
	962 Williams Rd, Dwellingup, Western Australia 6213
	Tel: (08)95381102  Fax: (08)95381409