[K12OSN] NIS ok but yppasswd still not going

Hi Everyone,

I still don't have the yppasswd going on my boxes. I hope that the fixes will be simple, as most of them are already cloned for the fall. Yes, I jumped gun, but I'm off to school for the summer...

I wonder if someone can take a look at my files and tell me where I may have messed up.

NIS seems to work just fine. When I add a new user or a bunch of users to the nis server, I run make from /var/yp/ and then restart ypserv. After that whenever a client reboots, it picks up the new maps (? is this what they are called) and lets users logon just fine. I live a long way from anywhere and the only resources if have are all of the readme files out there...I think I've read all of them...

This is what I get as root and as user on a client...followed by all of the configs.

If someone could help dig me out of this hole I'ld appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jim

[root lib00 root]# yppasswd jimltsp Changing NIS account information for jimltsp on jimc.homelinux.com. Please enter root password: Changing NIS password for jimltsp on jimc.homelinux.com. Please enter new password: Please retype new password: Error while changing the NIS password. The NIS password has not been changed on jimc.homelinux.com.

[jim lib00 jim]$ yppasswd jim
yppasswd: can't find the master ypserver: Internal NIS error

FILES on client:
# /etc/yp.conf - ypbind configuration file
# Valid entries are
#
#domain NISDOMAIN server HOSTNAME
#       Use server HOSTNAME for the domain NISDOMAIN.
#
#domain NISDOMAIN broadcast
#       Use  broadcast  on  the local net for domain NISDOMAIN
#
#ypserver HOSTNAME
#       Use server HOSTNAME for the  local  domain.  The
#       IP-address of server must be listed in /etc/hosts.
#
#domain linux-thin server linux-thin1.pcsscreston.ca

#domain linux-thin server linux-thin

#domain linux-thin server thin

domain linux-thin server 192.168.1.200

#
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# An example Name Service Switch config file. This file should be
# sorted with the most-used services at the beginning.
#
# The entry '[NOTFOUND=return]' means that the search for an
# entry should stop if the search in the previous entry turned
# up nothing. Note that if the search failed due to some other reason
# (like no NIS server responding) then the search continues with the
# next entry.
#
# Legal entries are:
#
#	nisplus or nis+		Use NIS+ (NIS version 3)
#	nis or yp		Use NIS (NIS version 2), also called YP
#	dns			Use DNS (Domain Name Service)
#	files			Use the local files
#	db			Use the local database (.db) files
#	compat			Use NIS on compat mode
#	hesiod			Use Hesiod for user lookups
#	[NOTFOUND=return]	Stop searching if not found so far
#

# To use db, put the "db" in front of "files" for entries you want to be
# looked up first in the databases
#
# Example:
#passwd:    db files nisplus nis
#shadow:    db files nisplus nis
#group:     db files nisplus nis

passwd:     files nis
shadow:     files nis
group:      files nis

#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files nis dns

# Example - obey only what nisplus tells us...
#services:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#networks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#protocols:  nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#rpc:        nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#ethers:     nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#netmasks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
networks:   nis [NOTFOUND=return] files
protocols:  files nis
rpc:        files
services:   files nis

netgroup: files nis

publickey: nisplus

automount:  files nis
aliases:    files nisplus

[jim lib00 jim]$ gedit /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=lib00
GATEWAY=192.168.1.254
NISDOMAIN=linux-thin

FILES on the nis server: # /etc/yp.conf - ypbind configuration file # Valid entries are # #domain NISDOMAIN server HOSTNAME # Use server HOSTNAME for the domain NISDOMAIN. # #domain NISDOMAIN broadcast # Use broadcast on the local net for domain NISDOMAIN # #ypserver HOSTNAME # Use server HOSTNAME for the local domain. The # IP-address of server must be listed in /etc/hosts. # domain linux-thin server 192.168.1.175 ypserver 192.168.1.175

[root jimc root]# pico /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=jimc.homelinux.com
GATEWAY=192.168.1.254
NISDOMAIN=linux-thin

#
# ypserv.conf	In this file you can set certain options for the NIS server,
#		and you can deny or restrict access to certain maps based
#		on the originating host.
#
#		See ypserv.conf(5) for a description of the syntax.
#

# Some options for ypserv. This things are all not needed, if
# you have a Linux net.

# Should we do DNS lookups for hosts not found in the hosts table ?
# This option is ignored in the moment.
dns: no

# How many map file handles should be cached ?
files: 30

# xfr requests are only allowed from ports < 1024
xfr_check_port: yes

# The following, when uncommented,  will give you shadow like passwords.
# Note that it will not work if you have slave NIS servers in your
# network that do not run the same server as you.

# Host                     : Domain  : Map              : Security
#
*                        : *       : passwd.byname    : port
*                        : *       : passwd.byuid     : port

# Not everybody should see the shadow passwords, not secure, since
# under MSDOG everbody is root and can access ports < 1024 !!!
#			   : *       : shadow.byname    : port
#			   : *       : passwd.adjunct.byname : port

# If you comment out the next rule, ypserv and rpc.ypxfrd will
# look for YP_SECURE and YP_AUTHDES in the maps. This will make
# the security check a little bit slower, but you only have to
# change the keys on the master server, not the configuration files
# on each NIS server.
# If you have maps with YP_SECURE or YP_AUTHDES, you should create
# a rule for them above, that's much faster.
# *                        : *       : *                : none

#
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
[...]

#passwd:     files nisplus changed all 3 --Jim
shadow:     files nis
group:      files nis
#shadow:     files nisplus
#group:      files nisplus

#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
#hosts:      files nisplus dns  changed - Jim
hosts:      files nis dns

# Example - obey only what nisplus tells us...
#services:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#networks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#protocols:  nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#rpc:        nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#ethers:     nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#netmasks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

#bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
bootparams: nis [NOTFOUND=return] files

ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
networks:   files