Re: [K12OSN] Wal-Mart PCs

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 12:33, James Jensen wrote:

> --- jam McQuil com wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Tom Kovalcik wrote:
> > >
> > > I was impressed with Lindows. They did a nice job with it and their
> > $500
> >
> > Carefull with Lindows.  By default, you are the SuperUser.
> >
> > Jim McQuillan
> > jam ltsp org
>
> So true.  They (Lindows) can argue all they want on why this should be but
> in the end it is just plain bad policy.
>
> Maybe not so bad for a home user, but in a public environment it would be
> simply begging for trouble (rootkit) IMO...
>
> PS FWIW, my own Via C3 Wal-Mart special's PS runs a little hot.  Don't know
> how long it will last.  When people cut corners on HW it's usually the PS
> that's one of the first items they skimp on. <sigh>  But what do ya want
> for $200? ;-)
>
> James Jensen

A good alternative to Lindows that give a Windows-like experience is
Lycoris Desktop/LX.  Nice, clean KDE-based desktop and standard Linux
user account types (root, users & all with passwords).  Underlying may
not be the latest kernal or version of KDE, but I've found it to be very
stable and user-friendly.  It doesn't come with loads of installed
software, but its RPM installer works very well, as does Samba.  Still
requires decent desktop resources because of KDE.  I don't know what
their volume support licensing is like, but it is available for free
download.

--
Jim Anderson

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to
you."
	-Gandalf the Grey