Re: [K12OSN] Instant Messanger

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 10:50, Jack wrote:
> Well,  I hate to have to do this but it seems that the instant messenger
> is being abused at our school.  Things like Profanity, insults, etc.
> The computer teacher wants it disabled.  Before I just shut it off how
> do other schools deal with this sort of thing?  Is there any advice
> anybody can give?

you might script up `ngrep` to watch for any particular keywords, or
just capture the conversation completely and scan it after.  abusers get
kicked off chat and their account disabled until, ahem, action can be
taken.

To prevent folks from running any program, create a group for the
program, chown the program to root.<group> , and then each user to that
group to allow then to load it. viz;

[root linuxathome root]# newgrp gaim
[root linuxathome root]# chmod 750 /usr/bin/gaim
[root linuxathome root]# chown root.gaim /usr/bin/gaim

Now click, start, settings, users - now select the user, click
properties, groups, and select the gaim checkbox, and save.  Add each
user in-turn, or script-up a solution for large numbers or users.

It worked here ok..  ;-)  as usual, allow time for experienced users to
comment on this before implementing my simplistic ideas.  ;-)

best,
Steve