Re: [K12OSN] ldap cache speed

Hmm. Just for the heck of it, when sitting at a command prompt on your server, does the IP address of your main workstation resolve to a hostname? And does that happen quickly, or pause a long time? If server performance is not the issue perhaps something simple like inversely resolving for the purpose of logging or evaluating a tcpwrappers rule (if configured), or an ldap acl rule is delaying acceptance of the tcp connection or authorization of the ldap request.

Barry Smoke wrote:

this turns out to be a strange problem with the softerra browser on my main workstation...
it works fine from 2 other windows client pc's...
so no server problem...

Barry Smoke wrote:

Hello everyone,
I have a quick question concerning ldap, and I've searched around, but have not found a reason why our server is acting this way.
if you use a ldap browser, such as softerra, and point it towards the built in "www.openldap.org" account,
and click on a sub tree, such as users,
it is lightning fast.
but, when you point the softerra browser to our server....it creeps, and crawls...
man it takes forever to load....
anyone have an idea why?

we have these versions installed on a redhat9 box:
openldap-servers-2.1.22-3
nss_ldap-202-5
openldap-clients-2.1.22-3
openldap-2.1.22-3

and here are the relavent entries in the slapd.conf file:
include         /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
#include        /etc/openldap/schema/redhat/rfc822-MailMember.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/redhat/autofs.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/qmail.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/samba.schema
# Allow LDAPv2 client connections.  This is NOT the default.
allow bind_v2
pidfile /var/run/slapd.pid
database        ldbm
suffix          "dc=bryantschools,dc=org"
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=bryantschools,dc=org"
# Cleartext passwords, especially for the rootdn, should
# be avoided.  See slappasswd(8) and slapd.conf(5) for details.
# Use of strong authentication encouraged.
# rootpw
# rootpw                {crypt}ijFYNcSNctBYg
rootpw                  (hidden)
cachesize 3000
dbcachesize 2000000
# The database directory MUST exist prior to running slapd AND
# should only be accessible by the slapd and slap tools.
# Mode 700 recommended.
directory       /var/lib/ldap
# loglevel 4

# Indices to maintain for this database
index objectClass                       eq,pres
index ou,cn,mail,surname,givenname      eq,pres,sub
index uidNumber,gidNumber,loginShell    eq,pres
index uid,memberUid                     eq,pres,sub
index nisMapName,nisMapEntry            eq,pres,sub