RE: [K12OSN] Instant Messanger

Terrell Prude', Jr. said:
> What you want is policy-based routing.  That's how we deal with it.
> Ever since IM clients started using TCP 80, etc., it became a bear for
> us to stop w/o DoS'ing the whole school district.  Policy-based routing
> works no matter what TCP or UDP port you're on.  The router is able to
> actually examine the protocol running across the wire and put a stop to
> whatever traffic you don't want flowing.  We also did this with Code
> Red, Nimda, etc.  This ability was invented precisely because of what
> you're running into below.

Terrell, can you give me an example of a setup? Are you referring to using
a packet sniffer of the sort such as snort? We're using snort here and it
takes care of security things such as intrusion detection....and even
prevention. But I haven't tweaked it enough to catch all the chat clients.

--
Caleb Wagnon MCP A+ CCNA
Technology Coordinator

checked by Clam Antivirus (http://www.clamav.org)