[K12OSN] Monitor Sync rate questions

Updated to K12LTSP 3.1.1 this summer and when I did *some* of the stations that worked before started having display problems.

I think I've tracked it down to monitor sync issues.

Can anyone recommend a process for adjusting monitors? I know you can specify the specific resolutions and frequencies but other than a alter/reboot/alter process - is there a way to say or a resource to tap that I can:

"Oh its a OptiQuest Q51 I need X_mode_0= ???? to make it work"

Phrased differently - the OptiQuest in question if I set the resolution to 800x600 it displays fine (or 640x480) - 1024x768 nothing displays - I know the Q51 can do 1024x768
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_q51.htm

but how do I take that information on the monitor and come up with a corresponding X_MODE_0 line?

Thanks.
Scott Sherrill
Technology Coordinator Hancock Public Schools
Hancock, MI
http://www.hancock.k12.mi.us