Re: [K12OSN] Is booting off the NIC a function of the card or BIOSor neither?

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Joseph Bishay wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd first like to thank everyone who took the time and effort to post
> replies about the 'IDE vs. SCSI or both' query I had. It was very
> helpful indeed.
>
> I'm now ordering the server, and I'm turning my attention to the
> client machines. I'm hoping to make them as 'thin' as possible.  As
> we didn't really have good network cards before, I've convinced them
> to make an investment and we're going to be getting 20 Intel Pro/1000
> MT Desktop Adapters (Product code PWLA8390MT) which are 10/100/1000
> compatible. I know that these NIC allow both waking on lan (not so
> useful) and PXE (more useful), but my question is: In order for the
> computer to boot from the NIC, is all that is required that the card
> be bootable (and thus these cards are sufficient) or will there need
> to be changes to the BIOS? The client machines we are using are all
> Pentium I machines (IE: OLD compaqs and AST machines) and some more
> relatively recent Celerons.  If I drop these cards in, will that be
> sufficient, or do I still need the boot disk? (I'm trying to avoid
> the disk idea due to the kids in the school invariably removing them;
> in addition, I'd prefer the drives to be available for students to
> take home material from it).

Most likely, those cards will boot just fine on your machines.

Sometimes, it is necessary to update the bios on the machines, not
very often.

Also, you may need to specify 'Boot from LAN' in the bios setup
screen.

But, you definately don't need to boot from floppy.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org