Re: [K12OSN] merger of Red Hat Linux with Fedora Project

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 14:33, Steve Wright wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 06:50, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Personally, I've always thought that the 'k12' part should be a
> > separate bundle and the 'Redhat-ltsp' installation should work
> > the same whether or not you wanted educational programs. Of course
> > it really only makes a difference if more people get involved in
> > development/support.
>

> It already is.  ltsp.org is ltsp - installs on nearly any distro.
>
> K12ltsp, is Redhat + LTSP + edu software + other relevant stuff.
>
> The thing is, K12LTSP approaching (surpassed?) the point of being 'an
> Enterprise-Ready Desktop System', and that means 'complexity'.
>
> Pulling the components apart is not really relevant to this list, since
> we can use the separate parts as installed, or ignore them, or not
> install the 'educational' stuff during the initial install.  Most users
> here are educational users, with a few hangers-on (like me) who are
> attempting to squeeze K12LTSP into /other/ little gaps.

I know the ltsp is a separate package, but what I meant was that
there should be a canned ISO install of RH+ltsp that could be
done without getting the education-related stuff unless you
check another box during the install.  The network, pxe boot, XDCMP,
etc. would be the same for any thin client setup.  As long as
an education-oriented guy is doing the excellent job of building
the iso it is probably extra work to split them but if others
get involved it would make sense to have something that would
be as much at home in an office as a lab, then have a bundle of
education related apps that can be dropped in too.

---
   Les Mikesell
    les futuresource com