RE: [K12OSN] Instant Messanger

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 10:34, Terrell Prude', Jr. wrote:
No, this isn't anything like snort, though snort is helpful in determining what to block.  Policy-based routing is actually a way of the router looking at the IP traffic itself and doing stuff to/with it before you let it head on to its destination.  This is a step that happens before the K12LTSP server--or anything else on the LAN--ever sees the traffic.

As for an example, yes, I could...on a router, specifically, a cisco, because that's how we do it (we use ciscos for lots of esoteric--er, "creative" things).  I don't know how to do it on another router type, though, and I'd be lost on how to do it on a GNU/Linux router, until I can take some time to research it.  Should be conceptually the same, though, if policy routing's supported, but I just haven't done it on GNU.

Terrell,

can you tell me exactly what you are filtering on ?   What /precisely/ in the IM packets can you reliably detect that indicate any of the IM protocols ?

I will have a go at producing a Linux TC filter that will drop all IM.  Don't hold your breath though.  It will be much quicker to just disable gaim et al on your LAN.

best,
Steve