RE: [K12OSN] PXE vs Etherboot

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Timothy Legge wrote:

> > So I have a few etherboot boxes (non-PXE) and I would like to control
> > them just the same (as my PXE boxes) without making any nbi images.
> >  Using several nbi images would require me to modify the dhcpd.conf
> file
> > and notify the dhcp server each time I want to load a different OS on
> an
> > etherboot box.  With PXE I do not have to modify the dhcpd.conf file
> > load a different OS, I only modify the soft links in
> > /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/.
>
> When I am developing and don't want to cycle the dhcp server I simply
> copy one file over the other.  My dhcp server has the file name set to
> Etherboot rom, I simply copy files over that file name.  You could
> always keep the files in tftpboot and create a symbolic link to the
> correct file.  The dhcp server simply looks for the filename.  It does
> not care what it is

All of this makes me ask:

    What's so hard about restarting dhcpd ?

For me, supporting LTSP, it's much easier when people don't use
symlinks, because it confuses alot of people.

Asking someone which kernel they are loading, and having them
tell me '/lts/vmlinuz.ltsp'  is really meaningless.

But, when I can have them do this:

   grep filename /etc/dhcpd.conf

and it comes back with:

   filename   "/lts/vmlinuz-2.4.22-ltsp-1";

Now THAT is meaningful.

PLUS, in a test environment, it's easier to have different
workstations loading different kernels.

So again, I ask:   What's so hard about restarting dhcpd ?

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org